Monday, June 21, 2010

When I was learning tarot, I learned that the wands represented passion, lust, sex, and anger. But sometimes, it can represent spirituality. Spirituality in the wands? I have to admit, this has never sat right with me.

You see, the reason it hasn't 'felt' right with me, is because the type of energy that moves us to lust, passion, anger, etc. , is not the same type of energy that moves us to be selfless, respect, or to be humbled. The latter are typically associated with a more spiritual state of awareness.

Let's analyze this for a moment. Ego- based energies (passion, lust, anger, etc) originate in our lower chakras. They are earth-based energies that do not reside in the upper chakras. As our energy ascends, and we open up to the upper level energies, we'll feel love and compassion. If we ascend further, our energy moves into the upper regions where we find we are more connected with the Universe and open ourselves up to the spiritually-based energies.

Following this line of thought, I KNEW I had to create a deck that incorporated a spiritual suit. Just like every other element of creation, the Spirit Suit needs to be anchored in its own element to express itself properly. So, I did just that, incorporated a Spirit Suit in my deck, A King's Journey Tarot. I think it makes for a natural flow of energy through suits.

Love to hear your thoughts !  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chanel,
    I get where you're coming from, but I also feel that spirituality is the transformation of base energies into higher ones. However, the energy is still coming from the same place. I see spirit in all the suits, in one way or another. Interestingly, I see it perhaps least, or least easily, in the Wands and Swords. But both Cups and Pentacles have a strong aspect of spirituality for me. The Ace of Cups, for example, has a feel of divine benediction and love. Or the Seven of Cups, which in some ways can be seen as spiritual seeking/choices. The Ten of Pentacles, too, I often see as expressing or recognizing spirituality in the mundane everyday. Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing the ways in which your spirit suit adds to the deck!
    Chloƫ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thoughts! I always find it interesting where we 'feel' our energy coming from. What chakras become more opened or closed? Where do we FEEL it? I have to admit, I don't think I feel it in the swords either!

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete